Translate

5/5/19

Who Do You Fear?


We are a society full of fear. We fear loneliness. We fear death. We fear intimacy. We fear rejection. We fear disease. We fear failure. We fear old age. We fear germs. We fear insects. We fear we'll become obese. We fear we'll lose our job, our spouse, our kids. On and on and on. I could probably fill this entire page with a list of fears and phobias if I had enough time. Fear of fear probably causes more problems in our lives than fear itself! We cannot flourish as a society with an undertone of fear. Well, at least not as God intended us to live. What do you fear? How big is your list?

Matthew 10:28 NIV says, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." We can look at this scripture and realize it applies to more than literal killing, as in murder. So many things can "kill" us just through worrying and therefore occupy our minds, our time, and our lives. As Christians, we sometimes worry far too much about what others think of us. Our faith alone makes us a target for ridicule, hatred, rejection, persecution, etc. Family members often ostracize us for confessing our beliefs. They can call us crazy or out of touch with the real world. This disconnect can cost us comfort, peace, loss of a spouse or even a financial inheritance. A man's foes will be of his own household says Matthew 10:34-37. Even so, as Christs' followers, we must be willing to place Him first in our lives and the most important people in our lives in second place. I speak from experience on this one. Back in the early 1970s when I made my commitment to Christ, my over exuberance in my new found faith persuaded my parents to question my mental stability and in fact, they tried very hard to convince me that I needed intervention to "stop the nonsense." I stood my ground. Despite being ostracized, there was no fear of losing their love and support. I and have never looked back in over 40 years.

Besides our families rejection of us, governments also persecute us. State and federal laws have been passing and could continue to pass laws making it illegal to preach Christs' message or even share it on social media sites. Unfortunately, we have now come to a place where man-made laws over-ride God's written law. Freedom of religion is slowly being demonized. Religious statues are being removed, the 10 commandments ripped away from stone foundations, crosses taken down from soldiers memorials for being "offensive," and prayer has long been removed from schools, etc. The apostle Peter wrote of a similar experience between him and the Sadducees. The Sadducees were one of the three main political and religious movements of the day. Peter wrote in Acts 5:28-29, "Did we not straitly command you that you should not teach in this name? (referring to the name Jesus). And, behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine and intend to bring this man's blood upon us." Then Peter and the other apostles spoke up as we should do also today, saying, "We ought to obey God rather than men." It cost them though! They were beaten (verse 40). Still, they preached and taught Jesus Christ daily in the temple and in every house. They literally rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for their faith and belief in Jesus Christ (verses 41-42). They did not waver in their faith nor did they fear what the Sadducees would physically do to them. Rather, they knew to "be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Besides the government persecuting us, our employers threaten believers as well. If an employer requires you to "go along to get along" or lose your job, leave! What are some examples? Maybe your boss has asked you to do something unethical: lie to a client, sell a product you know to be inferior, or if you are told to mislead a customer, etc. Leaving a company seems like a tough proposition, but the Bible instructs us, "But seek first The Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33). We are promised, " Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with Whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning" (James 1:17). GOD WILL PROVIDE WHEN YOU STAND TRUE TO BIBLICAL PRINCIPALS! I believe we need to have a determination to speak the truth and not go along to get along, and yet to do so in such a way that is different from the way non-believers engage those with whom they disagree. Should you fear what your employer will do? The truth is, no! If you stand up for Jesus Christ and His righteous teachings, you're going to be mocked, persecuted, made fun off, called choice names, etc. The Bible foretold us, "All who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (Timothy 3:12) Notice the two words ALL and SHALL? You don't have to be persecuted though. There is a way out. Don't live godly. Just hobnob with the world and fail to take a stand for what's right and you won't suffer persecution. Just remember, persecution is the thermometer that registers your love and courage for the Lord Jesus Christ. The psalmist David wrote something interesting that he witnessed from his youth to his old age, "I have never seen the righteous forsaken, or their children begging bread."

WHO now are we to fear? The Bible says He who has the power to destroy both your body and soul in hell; GOD. If you live for Christ, if you read His Word, seek to understand, and obey what you understand you have nothing to fear. NOTHING! We are to cast all our concerns on Him because He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7). We are of infinite value to Him (Matthew 10:29-31). He knows every need you have even before you arrive there (Matthew 6:31-33). God absolutely hears you when you cry out, pray, or just talk to Him (1John 5: 14-15). That's not to say God will immediately grant every and any request we make. That would be silly because we could all ask God for a million dollars and immediately go and find it in our bank accounts. We know that prayer and providence don't work like that. However, when it comes to genuine NEEDS, we can sometimes be blown away by a "coincidence" whereby a need is met in an unexpected and surprising way. I've had dozens of these in my lifetime; literally! I do not fear rejection by family or friends for speaking and standing for truth. I do not fear social media silencing me. I do not fear my government putting an end to freedom of religion or personal worship. I do not fear a radical, misguided religion who wants to kill me for believing that Jesus Christ is the only way to the Father in heaven. I do not fear if I'll run short on groceries or clothes to wear. I do not fear loneliness, sickness, or disease because I know "God will supply all my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus"- Philippians 4:19.

One last point I wish to make regarding 'fearing God.' Think of a child who has tremendous respect and love for mommy and daddy and who dearly wants to please them. He has a certain 'fear' of offending those he loves, not because he's afraid of torture or even punishment, but rather because he's afraid of displeasing the ones who, in that child's world, are his source of security and love. It is the same when we have a healthy adoration for God. I fear more that I might be displeasing to God than I am He will send lightning down to strike me dead. See what I mean? My desire is to always be pleasing to God, to walk in the way He has taught me, to be a light and witness to the world, knowing that regardless of any negative situation, God has my back and ultimately it is HE whom I live for and not the world.
Until next time,
-Pat-
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
RELATED SCRIPTURES:

1. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
2. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
3. “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34
4.“Humble yourselves, then, under God’s mighty hand, so that he will lift you up in his own good time. Leave all your worries with him, because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7
5. “Tell everyone who is discouraged, Be strong and don’t be afraid! God is coming to your rescue…” Isaiah 35:4
6. “The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
7. “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” Psalm 55:22
8.“'For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, for I myself will help you,' declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.” Isaiah 41:13-14
9. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1
10. “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper.” Psalm 118: 6-7
11.“And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” Romans 8:38-39

3 comments:

  1. I was exactly the same way, Pat. In the early 70s when I experienced a true revelation of Who Jesus was,I drove everyone crazy trying to tell them all how wonderful He was! He still is and I'm still telling others about how wonderful He is! In every circumstance of life that comes in like a storm cloud, we can allow fear to control and overtake us. This world is filled with things to fear. We can choose to constantly live in that fear or we can turn to the One Who has spoken those words you have written down. Those scriptures are just a few of many that tell us why we need not fear. Trusting a loving God for all we need at any time in our lives can bring a peace that is beyond anything the world can offer.
    Another wonderful lesson, Pat, about how our lives can only be made better by knowing our Lord Jesus! 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. unlike you or diane, I never went crazy after my revelation of who jesus was. it took a long time before I felt comfortable enough to talk to my friends about my belief. you could say i was unsure of what to say. however, the more I have learned and read the bible, the easier it is to talk about jesus, heaven, hell, salvation, etc. now that I understand and have learned a few scriptures, I feel confident because now I really understand who I am in Christ. I've never been physically hurt because of my faith but I have been shunned at work for my convictions but it doesn't bother me. I fear God more than man. it's a respectful fear, not a "God is mean and he'll get me" type if fear. I know hell awaits those that reject him and that's because they are only two choices--up or down. there is no in-between. if you're not going up you will wind up going down when your allotted time has ended. it's your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone is the same, Dan. Our personalities have a lot to do with how open we are with our faith. But you are right in saying that confidence comes when we come to know Him and what the Bible says. I'm not one to worry about what people say either. I still have friends from 50+ yrs ago. They may not believe what I do but they have loved and accepted me despite our differences. Showing them Jesus' unconditional love is one way to walk in our faith.

      Delete