Translate

9/10/19

Welcome To ...


There are various franchised fast-food restaurants across America. I believe most of my readers will recognize these... Subway, Burger King, and FireHouse Subs to name just three. In the area I live, each of these fast food places shouts out a unique greeting when you enter their establishment. For instance, you may have been greeted with, "Welcome to Subway," , OR "Welcome to Burger King, home of the famous flame-broiled burger," OR "Welcome to FireHouse Subs" where it is then immediately echoed by every employee behind the counter. In my opinion, "mechanical greetings" leave something greatly to be desired. Employees in many franchises always vocalize the same words ... "Welcome to ..." (fill in the blank). These greeting would be fine except for the fact they are not sincere. There's never any passion or sincerity in their voices because it's just something they have been trained and instructed to say when customers enter their place of business. It feels cold and programmed. Sometimes the same thing happens at funerals when relatives of a deceased family members fly in from different locations around the states. People who have never bothered to write or call you will approach you with a plastered smile and a big "HELLO, how have you been? What have you been up to?" You just want to respond, "Well, had you bothered to call on your own or answered my letters you would know how I've been and what I'm up to!" Their greeting is as programmed as the business establishments. There is no real caring, there is no real love in their words.

The Apostle Paul speaks of sincere, authentic, uncontrived love and faith in 2 Corinthians 6:6; 1 Timothy 1:5; 2 Timothy 1:5 KJV. Paul emphasizes "unfeigned (sincere) love of the brethren." In the very next thought, he defines what that unfeigned love consists of ... "see that you love one another with a pure heart fervently" (1 Peter 1:22 KJV). As believers in Jesus Christ, when we speak words from our mouths, they should be sincere words; words of love, care, and concern for one another AND FOR OUR FELLOW MAN despite his or her opposing beliefs. Only God knows what effect our words of sincerity may have in encouraging those who are outside of Christ. Here is an example. One summer during my medical externship at a Well-Woman office I entered an exam room where there was a patient waiting to see a doctor about her unwanted pregnancy. As I knocked on the door and entered the room I saw a petite, young lady in her late early 20's sitting in a chair next to the exam table. "Good morning, Sandi. I'm Pat and I'm here to take your vitals and get a fetal ultrasound." As the girl look up tears were streaming down her face. I immediately felt empathy. I pulled up a chair beside her and took her hand in mine asking, "What's wrong? This test isn't going to hurt at all. I'll take your blood pressure, get a heart rate, and then you'll lie over there on the exam table. The FHT will require that I put a small amount of a jelly-like substance on your abdomen and run a transducer over your tummy. The transducer will send and receive ultrasonic sound waves and turn them into a picture so the doctor can read it when he comes in. It won't take more than five minutes and will be completely painless." At this point, Sandi lowered her head and began bawling. I sensed it wasn't fear that was bothering her but something much deeper. I felt a sudden urge to console and encourage her with God's love.

"Is it the pregnancy?" I asked. She nodded yes. Looking down at her chart I read that she was single and without insurance. Taking her other hand I asked, "Are you scared?" She nodded yes. "Because you're single?" She nodded again. "Has the father ran off taking no responsibility for this pregnancy?" Once again she nodded yes and mumbled, "I hate myself! My pastor said I'm going to hell. I don't know what to do!" "Look," I said, "There's no need to feel ashamed for what's happened. We all make mistakes. I've done some pretty wild things in my lifetime that I'd be too embarrassed to tell anyone. The most important thing is God understands how you feel right now, but He has not given up on you and He does not hate you! You're not alone. Others may reject you for this but God doesn't. And I don't. Your unplanned pregnancy may alter the course you have to take in life but it by no means has to ruin your life. There are plenty of women in your same predicament that come see us every day. On average I see about three each day and as many as seven per day. You are not alone. You can get through this." She finally raised her head and peered straight into my eyes. I wiped a tear from her cheek. "I'll tell you what. I'll give you a pamphlet that will help instruct you how to take the next steps to keep and raise this beautiful baby you have inside you. I'm not promising the road will be easy, but it will be doable if you trust God with every decision you make. It's what I did and I still do each and every day. Don't be ashamed. It is what it is and soon you'll have a beautiful little child who will love you more than anyone on earth. I will give you that literature before you leave but I would also like to pray for you. Can I do that?" Sandi nodded yes. And I did. There was so much more I encouraged her with not written here today.

Although I never saw Sandi again, three weeks after our brief encounter the head nurse practitioner called me into her office. I became nervous thinking I had fouled up a procedure, forgotten to clean a speculum, or had forgotten to change out the exam table paper! Cautiously entering her office, I sat down on a brown- studded, leather chair nervously anticipating what was about to take place. After all, I was in my 8-week externship which would determine if I was employable, and she had the authority to release me at any time. "I have something for you!" she exclaimed. She was holding a white envelope. My palms became sweaty and my heart began racing. This is it, I thought, she's going to let me go. I took the envelope from her hand. With a smile on her face, she shouted, "Open it. Go ahead, open it!" I reached inside the envelope and unfolded a crisp white letter and began reading.
To: Madelene Swainhart, NP
Hello. My name is Sandi __________ (name left out for privacy purposes). About three weeks ago I was in your office for my first pregnancy - out of wedlock I might add! There was an RMA working there at the time of my visit. Her name was Pat Phillips. I want you to know she saved my life. I wanted to commit suicide that day but she changed my mind. She said some pretty powerful things to me but more than that, she treated me with respect, acceptance, and empathy. You should give her a raise. It's the first time I ever felt cared for or cared about since becoming pregnant. I think you should know you have a great employee and you should commend her. I entered your office feeling dirty and worthless and wanting to commit suicide but I left feeling confident and okay about myself. Things are good now and I'm looking forward to having my baby. Please thank her for me!
Sincerely,
Sandi ______________

We need to wholeheartedly think about how we treat people and show the characteristics of Christ because just like Sandi, you never know how your words and actions may affect the unsaved world. I had no idea I had that kind of effect on her had she not sent that letter. Let us sincerely think about how we treat others and what we say to them, then make any necessary adjustments to our character and disposition. Let's be passionate about our Christianity because the eternal souls of men, women, boys, and girls are at stake.
Until next time,
-Pat-

4 comments:

  1. it goes back to the idea you catch more flies with honey. i have seen christians who constantly point fingers at people who are not believers and have vices they try and deal with. The unpleasant criticisms toward them do more harm than good. a kind, understanding word makes a better approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what one kind gesture or word can do to help heal a broken heart. "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Director of a Crisis Pregnancy Center (CPC) in my city, these are the stories I heard time and time again. Each young woman and young man, or a teenager who no longer had a boyfriend because of the unplanned pregnancy, even older women who occasionally came, had something to share about how they felt about their circumstances and ultimately their futures! I was blessed to have been hired by a Ministry as well, which allowed me to pursue prayer and bible study with some of my clients when appropriate. They never heard and angry condemning word...only received unconditional love and acceptance. For some with no family, I became their Doula even, and got them through their labour and births! Absolutely, no one is in a place to criticize someone who finds themselves in this situation! All are redeemable in God's eyes!
    It is wonderful that 'Sandi' was so encouraged by your love and compassion toward her.
    Repeated unconditional love IN action can win hearts! And produce fruit that will inpact His Kingdom!! <3

    Btw...Our food chains don't break out into song!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it all, Diane, with your words "all are redeemable in God's eyes." Sandi's situation has remained with me to this day. I was so moved by her sad countenance that it made an impact on me and opened my heart even more to want and help people in desperate trouble. **As far as our food chains, thank goodness they don't sing as we enter their facilities, their repetitious "greeting" is wearisome enough. lol

    ReplyDelete