Translate

10/28/19

Why Doesn't God Answer My Prayers?


It is extremely difficult when anyone, but especially a family member says, "God never answers me. He always seems to answer your prayers so YOU need to ask God for me because He won't hear me." That is just so sad. Has someone ever said to you, "God doesn't answer my prayers." Have you ever thought that of yourself? There were times throughout my life that my opinion was the same as my family member. In fact, there was a time I believed God hated me because no matter what I prayed was never granted. I too would ask others to pray for my need or something I wanted because I wasn't getting anywhere with God. Have you ever wondered why some people have prayers answered and why others never do? How much do you know about prayer itself? There is much written in the Bible about it. Prayer is certainly a great blessing from God and should be a powerful part of the Christian’s life. We know prayer is important to God because the words pray, prayer, prayers and praying are mentioned over 450 times in the Bible (I had to google that). I want to list five major things regarding prayer that will help clarify what, why, how, and who regarding prayer:
What is Prayer? — The word pray means “to petition, request or entreat.” It is the avenue by which we communicate with God (Romans 10:1). Prayer necessarily involves praise (Matthew 6:9), thanksgiving (Philippians 4:6), confession (1 John 1:9) and petitions (Philippians 4:6).
Why should we Pray? — Because prayer is a direct command (1 Thessalonians 5:17; Ephesians 6:18). It is the medium through which we obtain God’s wisdom and blessings (James 1:5; James 5:18; 1 Kings 18:42; 1 Kings 18:45). Prayer is a powerful tool for God’s faithful (Acts 12:5-17).
How often should we Pray? — Petitions before God should be offered as often as we have a need, and prayers of thanksgiving should be offered as often as God blesses us (Ephesians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; 1 Peter 1:3). Note that the “how often” should be closely associated with the “without ceasing” attitude (1 Thessalonians 5:17; 1 Thessalonians 1:2; 1 Thessalonians 2:12-13; Ephesians 6:18).
What should we Pray for? — Just to name a few; for strength to overcome our temptations (Matthew 26:41; Mark 14:38; Luke 22:40; Luke 22:46)-- I really utilize prayer for this one! Other examples are for God’s wisdom (James 1:5-7); for unity (John 17:20-21); for forgiveness (Matthew 6:12); for the sick (James 5:14); for all people and those in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-3; Romans 10:1); for the saints (Ephesians 6:18).
What hinders our Prayers? — When we allow sin to remain in our lives (Isaiah 59:1-2; when we pray with selfish motives (James 4:3); when we pray doubting the outcome (James 1:5-8; 1 Timothy 2:8 – KJV).
Who can Pray? — Prayer is the privilege of the obedient (1 John 3:22); those who are submissive to God’s will (1 John 5:14; 1 John 3:22); and those who are faithful (John 9:31; John 15:7; James 5:16; 1 Peter 3:12).

Sometimes when asked, it becomes challenging to share with a non-believer that the Word declares, "We know (meaning Christians know) that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him" (John 9:31). DOING GOD'S WILL PLAYS A HUGE PART IN GOD HEARING US. I'll be honest, it is extremely difficult to tell someone their prayers aren't being answered due to the fact they are out of line with God. No one wants to hear that! Whether that is because they are entrenched in a life of sin or they just don't love God to actually hear what His Word asks- which is to walk in obedience. Obedience requires turning from our sin not remaining in it. That is God's truth! These aren't just suggestions, these are GOD'S words! Christians do not make the rules, however, our obligation is to TELL THE TRUTH when asked. If someone asks you, "Why doesn't God answer any of my prayers" it is your duty as a believer to share the scripture that answers their question. It is not, however, your obligation or duty to judge "how" they are out-of-line with God even if you know what it is. That is between them and God. Keep your fingers in your pockets and don't be tempted to point! If they ask why God never hears them share the scripture: 'The Bible teaches in the book of John, that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him.' (notice the very important words "does God's will"?)
God's Word is sufficient. We don't need to add, change, or take anything from it. If someone confronts, "Are you judging me? Are you saying I'm some kind of a sinner?" It's best to share what the Word has taught you! I usually answer, "I had to learn the hard way myself that, God does not hear sinners or anyone outside of His will. I don't know anything about your relationship with God, but unless or until I aligned myself with God's will I never received answers to my prayers either.'
God's Word is so clear, "If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear" (Psalm 66:18); "But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear" (Isaiah 59:2). There is just no way to misinterpret those scriptures. They point to being disobedient and sin (iniquity) is a result of disobedience.


Christians should never take the avenue of prayer for granted, but we should humbly thank God for this blessed means of communication with Him because He is the One who richly provides all good and perfect gifts (James 1:17; John 3:27), including life itself (Acts 17:25; Acts 17:28). If you are not hearing from God on a consistent basis it may be time to take spiritual inventory. Are you still aligned with God's will? Sometimes God will be what we interpret as "silent" and it can be when His answer is no! Understand though, "no" is still an answer it's just not the one you wanted or were anticipating. Hope is not lost. If you are truly walking in His will, if you fear Him with godly fear, if you seek to obey Him, He will hear you and HE WILL answer and grant your prayer requests either exactly as you've asked or in a different way, even perhaps at a better time than what you understand right now. He knows what is best: the what, where, why and who. Go over all the scriptures I've included today: the what, why, how, and who regarding prayer until you better understand how prayer works and then make an adjustment to do what is necessary to be heard. If nothing else today, I URGE YOU to read Proverbs 1: 22-33 on your own. Look at the words, especially verses 28-33! It says so much about unanswered prayer!

Until next time,
-Pat-

5 comments:

  1. Oh Pat, I never wonder this anymore because he answers my prayers everyday, we just have to remember, sometimes the answer isn't what we expect, but what God knows is best for us....so love your blogs but so miss seeing Mario, Jaxx, Bella and Lucy❤💓💕💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Kerry. I cannot name the times when as a believer and walking in His will that I "thought" His answer was no because I did not receive something I was asking I believed I needed right then or exactly how I believed it should turn out. I could have interpreted these "silent" times as God ignoring me, but that just wasn't the case. First, all of God's answers will not come until it is the best outcome for us AND (which some people tend to ignore) IN GOD'S TIMING not our timing. If we are aligned with His will, He makes a way even if our interpretation or understanding of a temporary silence is that He said no or has forgotten us. IF His answer is no, He will make a different way at another time that is best for His children. I'm glad God finally led you to the perfect job, Kerry! God answered you even though the wait seemed long. :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent teaching again! God is so clear about prayer and how He wants us to communicate with Him! He wants to hear from us! Thank you for all the scriptures you take the time to look up for us as well, Pat!
    Blessings! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't blame God if he reaches a point he no longer tries to reach people who continually reject him,
    by rejecting his instructions that they know in their heart are right. they choose themselves over him. and what did he say would happen if that's what we choose?

    ""Even then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
    They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me.
    Because they hated knowledge And did not choose the fear of the Lord, they would have none of my counsel
    And despised my every rebuke."

    ReplyDelete