Translate

1/1/20

A Fresh Start For 2020


One of the tragedies of the twentieth century is that people go to church and learn about God but they do not know God. You can know about God without knowing God, and if all you do is know about Him, then indeed, you're going to be lost, you're going to die, you're going to perish. KNOWING GOD is of utmost importance. Remember Jesus' Word in Matthew 7:21-23? He gives us something to think about. Many were knocking at the door of heaven for Jesus to let them in because they thought they were acceptable in their own eyes by the deeds they did, and they learned enough about Him that they called Him Lord. But was He their Lord? They believed because they had done many good things on earth, even prophesying and casting out demons (which indicates they believed these were works/actions worthy of salvation), do you recall Jesus rejecting them at the door of heaven? More importantly, do you remember WHY they were rejected? Jesus proclaimed He never knew them! These did not do the will of the Father and thus were turned away. In other words, those who really KNOW God, love God. And when you love God you obey Him. No amount of goodness or good works will purchase your salvation. Let me say that in a different way. If you KNOW God, then you're going to love God, because no one can truly know Him without loving Him because God is love (1 John 4:7-21). And if you love God you're going to trust God, because when you see how much He loves you (John 3:16), it will be easy for you to trust Him. And when you trust Him you're going to obey Him, for we cannot fully obey someone we do not trust. And when we obey Him we're going to be blessed, for the Bible says ''if you know these things, happy are ye if you do them.'' Do you want to be blessed? Then you have to obey. Do you want to obey? Then you have to trust. Do you want to trust? Then you need to love. Do you want to love? You need to know. YOU NEED TO KNOW GOD. I'm asking, do you know Him? Do you really down in your hearts know God?

God created you. Not only that, He loves you so much that He wants you to know Him now and spend eternity with Him. Jesus said, "For God so loved the world that he gave His only Son so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." Jesus came so that each of us could know and understand God in a personal way! Jesus alone can bring meaning and purpose to life. Do you feel separated from God as if He is a gazillion miles away? Do you know why you feel like that? I'll tell you. You sense that separation, that distance from God because of your sin. The Bible tells us that “All of us like sheep have gone astray; each of us has turned to his own way” (Isaiah 53:6). Deep down, our attitude may be one of active rebellion or passive indifference toward God and His ways, but it’s all evidence of what the Bible calls sin. The result of sin in our lives is death -- spiritual separation from God. That's the distance you feel, that gap between you and God. Although we may try to get close to God through our own effort, we inevitably fail. Our efforts to reach God...doing good for others, religious rituals, trying to be a good person, etc. are just that; efforts. But the problem is that none of these good efforts actually cover up our sin or remove it! Our sin is known by God and stands as a barrier between us and God. Further, the Bible says that the penalty for sin is death. We would be eternally separated from God.


Instead of trying to reach God, He tells us how we can begin a relationship with Him right now. Jesus says, “Come to me.” “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink...out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” It was Jesus’ love for us that caused Him to endure the cross. And He now invites us to come to Him, that we might begin a personal relationship with God. Just knowing what Jesus has done for us and what He is offering us is not enough. To have a relationship with God, TO KNOW HIM, we need to welcome Him into our life. The Bible says, “Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the power to become the sons of God." That "power" is His Holy Spirit! We accept Jesus by faith. The Bible says, “God saved you by His special favor when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done or will ever do in the future, so none of us can boast about it” (Ephesians 2:9). Accepting Jesus means believing that Jesus is the Son of God, then inviting Him to guide and direct our lives. Jesus said, “I came that you might have life, and have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). And here is Jesus’ invitation. He said, “I’m standing at the door and I’m knocking. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in.”

As 2020 begins you can receive Jesus right now and KNOW God rather than just "learn about" Him through a church service. Remember that Jesus said, “I’m standing at the door and I’m knocking. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in.” Would you like to respond to His invitation and start this year anew? Here’s how. The words you use to commit yourself to God are not important. He knows the intentions of your heart. If you are unsure of what to pray, this might help you put it into words: “Jesus, I want to know you. I want you to come into my life. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin so that I could be fully accepted by you. Only you can give me the power to change and become the person you created me to be. Thank you for your forgiveness and for giving me eternal life. I, in turn, give my life to you. Please do with it as you wish. Amen.” If you sincerely asked Jesus into your heart just now, then He has come into your life as He promised in His Word... it will be a one on one personal relationship! To get to know Him, read your Bible. Amazing knowledge is contained in His Word.
Until next time,
-Pat-

10 comments:

  1. He is true to His word. When you invite Him in, He will come!

    Father, I pray that those who read this but don't have a personal relationship with Your Son Jesus, will invite Him in. Change their lives with Your love! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Diane. I stand with you in prayer, in Jesus Name.

      Delete
  2. I thank God that I have a personal relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog, unfortunately will not let me post to FB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ?? Really, Kerry? Let me see if I can get it to my FB page then you should be able to share from there.

      Delete
  4. I shared your post, mine will share to my original page but not to my new one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you & Diane.
    Walking with Jesus is the Best

    ReplyDelete