Translate

1/9/20

Saving The Lost Stray

Every time I see an ASPCA commercial on television it tears my heart apart. If I could, I would rescue every lost, lonely, abused, dumped or cast away dog or cat beside the four I already have right now. Several years ago, while out driving on my way to the grocery store, I saw a very skinny, scraggly stray dog in an open field. Desiring to help, I got out of my Jeep and pursued it for over an hour in an attempt to call it to come to me. Unable to do so, I concluded I should drive to the store and buy some hamburger for the starving animal. After leaving the meat where the stray could find it, I waited, and waited, and waited, but the dog still declined my offer. In frustration, I cried out, “I’m trying to save you! You’re going to starve to death or be killed out here!” Later I thought to myself, 'That dog had no idea it actually needed me but it refused my offer of food so that I could help it.' I was so hurt and frustrated knowing the bleak future as a stray. Today I still wonder whatever happened to that poor, lost dog.


Reflecting on that experience today, a spiritual application is so very clear and I wish to share it. Wanting to save that dog reminds me of the Lord — how He lovingly works to call people to come to Him so that He might save them (Matthew 11:28-30), yet so many refuse. Many do not even believe they need Him at all. They do not realize their souls are starving!” My experience should be a powerful reminder to us as to how God sees our true, pitiful condition: Lost, starving, headed for danger, and in need of His help and comfort. Isaiah the prophet once stated regarding our spiritual condition: "All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned, everyone, to his own way, and the Lord has laid on Him the sins of us all" (Isaiah 53:6). Just as desperately as I wanted to rescue that pitiful stray dog, God wants to rescue us! It's true. God reaches out to rescue us by calling us through the saving message of the gospel (2 Thessalonians 2:14), but many still refuse His offer, unaware of their perilous spiritual condition.


On one occasion, Jesus looked upon the city of Jerusalem, saw their spiritual condition, and wept over it, saying: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" (Matthew 23:37; Luke 19:41-44). JESUS WANTS TO RESCUE US! Jesus went to the cross to make our salvation possible! He took your sins and my sins upon Himself and paid the price for our redemption (1 Peter 2:24; Hebrews 9:28). He invites all to come to Him for salvation: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls, For My yoke is easy and My burden is light“ (Matthew 11:28-30).


How can we be saved? Our Lord has revealed five basic conditions of acceptance into His spiritual body, the Church (Matthew 16:18; Romans 12:5; Ephesians 1:15-23; Colossians 1:18). They are:
Faith (Hebrews 11:6). Believe He is the Savior.
Repentance (Acts 17:30-31) Be truly sorry for the wrongs you've committed in your life and desire real change.
Confession (Romans 10:9-10) Ask for His forgiveness. He'll do it.
Baptism (immersion) for the forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16). Be baptized in water as a symbol of your sincerity.
A life lived in dedication to the following of His will (Matthew 7:21; James 1:20-27; 1 John 1:7). Vow to follow His will as spelled out in His Word.
Just like my experience of desperation to save that dog, Jesus sees us in our true, pitiful condition: Lost, starving, headed for danger, and in need of His help and comfort (Luke 15:11-24). He calls each of us to come to Him for salvation (Revelation 3:20). You have to realize, even though you don't feel lost, without Jesus, you are! Even though you may not believe you're in danger, without Jesus, you are! Jesus' passionate desire is to rescue you from your lost condition. He wants to comfort you, love you, fill you with hope, and give you a secure home in heaven (not unlike our desire to give rescued dogs the same!). Please do not reject His call for another moment, but come to Him in willing obedience today! (2 Corinthians 6:2). If you have any questions regarding coming to Christ, please leave a comment or you may email me directly at MarioJaxxMom@gmail.com

Until next time,

-Pat-

6 comments:

  1. All of us know people who really feel they have made it on their own and will continue to do so. Their success is of their own doing; everything they have, they have gained themselves. It is true, hard work etc brings rewards but the Bible says that God rains on the righteous and the wicked; all good gifts come from the Father! In doing that however, they are blinded by their accomplishments to the fact that they need Jesus!! We all need Him....and why not?! Is it a bad idea to serve Jesus?! You only have much to gain and nothing to lose! His loving kindness, forgiveness and unconditional love for us is beyond anything we can possibly imagine and can be matched by no human on earth!
    Blessings, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Diane. Our accomplishments have a tendency to make us feel self sufficient and in no need of spiritual intervention. We've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good analogy, pat. you make things so easy to understand. you have a gift. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful analogy, Sis! While we were spiritually starving, we didn't realize that the nourishment our soul needed was found in Jesus, the Bread of Life. We were as spiritually starved as that poor dog. Wonderful message. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny to me that, if you look around, often times you'll discover a lesson in every day experiences. God was teaching me things throughout my life though I didn't always see it.

    ReplyDelete