Someone asked me my political affiliation. I asked why they were asking and their response was, "You talk about Jesus alot so I figure you must be a Republican." First of all, for the record: I am a Christian without shame. Being a Christian DEFINES MY FAITH AND PERSONAL VALUES, not a political party. "Christians" hold a wide variety of political views. If one were wise, they would know being a Christian doesn't automatically tie someone to a political party. I try to let my faith guide how I treat people rather than telling me how to check a ballot!
That said, let me be clear ..
Can you define the following declaration with absolute certainty as being either Republican or Democrat without interjecting a personal opinion or assumption?
I believe Jesus Christ is Lord over everything. Not just Sunday mornings, not just my household, but every nation, every government, and every authority on earth. I believe America was blessed by biblical principals and I refuse to apologize for wanting those principals to influence the future of this country.
I believe the Bible should shape our understanding of right and wrong. I believe marriage and family matter. I believe children should be protected because life is sacred and truth doesn't change because culture changes. And NO, THAT DOESN'T MEAN I believe that the government can force someone to follow Jesus. You cannot legislate salvation! Only Jesus saves. But don't tell me my faith belongs inside the four walls of the church while every other world view gets to influence our laws, our schools, and our culture.
I'm a Christian before I'm an American. My allegiance to Jesus will always come before my allegiance to America. I don't worship America, I worship Jesus Christ. I believe America should be governed by biblical morality as God instructed, that Christians should participate in shaping our nation, and that Jesus is King above every earthly ruler. I'm not ashamed to say I believe those things because my faith isn't just personal. It shapes how I live, treat others, and what I believe is good for my country. The bottom line is, the faith I choose follow does not altogether determine what political party I vote for. I'm an equal-opportunity skeptic; I find plenty of things to roll my eyes at on both sides.
Finally, the Bible was not written to address the proximate problems of political life. Ancient biblical writers did not design Scripture to act as a policy manuel, a voting guide, or a blueprint for contemporary governance, electiions, or statecraft. It speaks of another Kingdom. Yet, though we are citizens of Heaven, we still live on this Earth. While Christians should consult Scripture as they consider their own involvement in the political process (as I am careful not to support anti-biblical causes), the Bible does not include something like a comprehensive party platform. You can search the prophets, the epistles, or the words of Jesus, but you won’t find straightforward answers to today’s public policy questions.
Until He Comes,
-Pat-

No comments:
Post a Comment