Translate

9/29/26

"Take Up Your Cross"

Don't lay down. Keep going.


Jesus said to, "take up your cross and follow Me." He wasn't talking about carrying a physically heavy, wooden-beam, cross. However, what He was saying is important to know. In the 9th chapter of Luke verse 23, Jesus said, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." There is alot to reap from that verse! Let's break it down.


The cross was an instrument of death. Period.

In the verse above, it's not referring to the fancy gold and silver crucifix we adorn around our necks, nor is it referring to the symbol we hang on a walls in our homes. A cross in this case represents suffering, surrender, and death. So when Jesus said "take up YOUR cross" He was saying that if you are going to follow Him you have to die to YOURself. The cross, YOUR cross symbolizing dying. What is dying to "self"? Simply it means dying to your flesh, dying to YOUR own way, to YOUR pride, to YOUR sinful habits, to what YOU want that's wrong, to the "old version" of YOU that wants what it sinfully wants more than obedience to GOD.


This is why Jesus said first, DENY YOURSELF BECAUSE following Jesus is not just about believing in Him. Even demons believe says James 2:19! The Bible contains several other passages  where demons and unclean spirits not only recognize, address, but acknowledge the identity of Jesus or God. Are they saved? No they aren't. If you're interested when reading your Bible next, here are those verses besides James 2:19

Matthew 8:28-29, Mark 5:7, Luke 8:28, Mark 1: 23-24, Luke 4: 33-34, Mark 3:11, Luke 4:41.


More than just believing, following Jesus is about surrendering to Him. Following is about the relationship between faith and actions. Hear me. Merely intellectual belief-intellectually acknowledging that God exists is not enough for salvation. It calls for true, willing, surrender. Beginning with a desire to die to self, especially when self never seems to work out! In my personal case when I first had a desire to change my life I was literally sick of myself to tell you the truth. I was not happy with me, my actions, my decisions, the path I was on, the hate and bitterness I carried from my childhood abuse, always trying to fill my life with things I thought would fulfill me: alcohol, sexual experimentation, taking risks smoking doobies handed to me that wound up one time being laced with something that nearly killed me. My life was like so many others .. full of rebellion, self-hatred, being lost, drifting aimlessly, feeling alone, nothing turning out like I wanted. Somebody was praying for me at the time I had no idea! Jesus heard those prayers. The Holy Spirit began answering by placing a desire in my heart to attend a Bible study with a friend. I was curious. Thoughts filled my mind .. I could always leave. Never go back. What if they are weird? Bible thumpers? What if they ask me to read or introduce myself? At least I would have tried. It all started there! It wasn't weird. It was quite pleasant. Nice ladies, coffee, crumbcake, acceptance, smiles, warmth! I kept going back again and again. I've never quit studying and learning God's WORD in over 40 years.


James speaks of demons to highlight the same thing I'm stressing today, that even evil spirits recognize the reality, power, and oneness of God, However, their "belief" (like so many)  does not change their allegiance or behavior. Do you understand what I'm pointing out? Alot of people believe Jesus exists, fill church pews, say prayers, wear religious jewelry, etc but they no more follow Christ than a non-believer. BELIEVING is always followed by a transformed life, genuine devotion, and not just mental agreement. I've been asked, "So what does taking up your cross look like if it's more than acknowledging that God exists?" In a short answer, it's literally denying self - obvioius through changed actions and behavior. Here are a few examples:

1. Forgiving someone when your flesh would rather get revenge. (I've been there)

2. Walking away from a friendship that God has told you to let go of. (I've been here)

3. Obeying God's command regarding immorality even when your flesh aches to fulfill a desire. (Been there-this was the most difficult to overcome)

4. Stepping away when you hear co-workers begin to gossip even if they make fun and mock you. (I've walked away)

5. A transformed life no longer wants to participate in what looks, sounds, or is evil. (Yes, sin disgusts me now. I avoid it. I have no desire for it. I abhor what is evil) 


Surrender is choosing what's right even if it costs you your comfort, popularity, your own plans.  It's a daily surrender of your will so that your will remains in line with God's WORD. Surrender's goal is not simply denying yourSELF just to do it but the goal is to become more like Jesus. Why? Our flesh wants what it wants .. its own way, now, regardless! If we surrender our will to Jesus, be willing to have His way in us, our lives should begin to produce fruit (actions/results) that look like Christ.

People should see the character of Christ in us by the way we live, the way we love others, the way we forgive, the way we walk by the Word Jesus taught, the way we respond to hardship, hatred, sin, as a witness of God we have to have a TRANSFORMED life. Not only are we called to follow Jesus for ourselves, but we are called to disciple others toward truth pointing people to Christ and to live in a way that helps others to see who He is. So taking up your cross is about dying to the flesh so Christ can be seen through your life.

Until He comes,

-Pat-





No comments:

Post a Comment