Translate

6/14/19

Problems & Troubles


We live in a troublesome world. You don't have to look very far or have a college degree to see it. It's all around us. Unfortunately, we can become problem-centered rather than God-centered and when this happens, we can lose the proper perspective. Gradually, all our problems begin to look huge and the strength of Almighty God seems small. Instead of moving those mountains by faith (Mark 11:23), we can become constant worriers, creating mountains of needless pressure for ourselves and others. Not only does stress affect our mental health, but chronic anxiety and outpouring of stress hormones can have serious physical consequences, including suppression of the immune system, digestive disorders, muscle tension, migraines, insomnia, etc. This is when we become problem centered rather than God-centered.
I could show you any Psalm and identify a variety of emotions. We all have emotions. For instance, David's Psalm 55 is a Lament which uses a number of feeling words that represent or include positive or emotion. I’ve bolded the positive emotions.
“Plea” (v 1)
“Trouble” and “distraught” (v 2)
“Suffering” and “anger” (v 3)
“Heart is in anguish” and “terrors” (v 4)
“Fear and trembling” and “horror” (v 5)
Oh, that ... longing and “rest" (v 6)
“Confuse” and “violence and strife” (v 9)
“Malice and abuse” = endangered (v 10)
“Once enjoyed sweet fellowship” = loss and grief (vv 12- 14)
“Let death take my enemies” = rage (v 15)
“Cry out in distress” (v 17)
Fear of God(v 19)
“His speech is smooth as butter” = feeling manipulated and “war is in his heart” (v 21)
Cares” and “sustain” (v 22)
Trust” (v 23)

In Isaiah Chapter 40, there is an effective prescription if you will, for those of us whose God seems small in times of trouble. God reminds us that He is much bigger than problems or the world He created. He points out that compared to Him, “the nations are as a drop in a bucket” (Isaiah 40:15 – NKJV) and the inhabitants of the earth “are like grasshoppers” (Isaiah 40:22). His words aren’t meant to belittle us, but rather to encourage us to look to Him and gain His perspective of life. HIS PERSPECTIVE!
However, God offers us far more than a new perspective. If we will depend on Him, instead of brooding over our problems, He will renew our strength, and wings of faith will lift our hearts above our difficulties (Isaiah 40:28-31). Some of our problems may be huge, but we can see them as smaller than our great God. And that makes all the difference in the world!

It's always easier to trust God in the good times. It takes much more faith to keep that trust during painful trials. Tough times happen to everyone. It is sometimes difficult to believe that God is willing to take you through the impossible situations in your life. But faith is the most important thing that you must have in this age of crisis and turmoil.
Jesus is so merciful to remember that we are weak. He will never hold it against us if we ask for his help to believe him through our struggles. Striving to work out impossible situations on our own will never succeed. It is only the power of God that can rescue us from the storm. You may have a serious health issue, financial problems, drug or alcohol addictions or even a broken heart but nothing is too hard for our God who created the heavens and the earth and everything in them. We are told by God in Isaiah 41:13, “For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you”. That is a promise that Jesus bought for us at Calvary. Whatever trial or pain you are in, remember that God’s love will never leave your side. Call on him right now to strengthen you to overcome your unbelief. He will help you take that first step in trust so that you will know that God is big enough to conquer all of your problems.
Until next time,
-Pat-

6 comments:

  1. We certainly do live in a troubled world! It is not just filled with the everyday struggles and trials ordinary people face, it is a world filled with evil. Children can be snatched from a playground and be sold in to sex trafficking; one in every four women has been molested or sexually abused in some way; to escape the difficulties and sorrows of this world, many have taken to addictions of all kinds, just to "check out" for a while. The problem with that is, you keep wanting to check out and eventually cannot find your way back! It's just awful...I get very disheartened and sad when I think of what goes on in this world. But we DO have hope! Hope in Jesus. No, life does not become a bed or roses, we still have trials and struggles. But as Pat illustrated, in those trials, we have a God Who says He is there for us. He will hold our hand to see us through. The important part is to get through...come out on the other side! My verse for this year is "Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee because he trusts in Thee" Isaiah 26:3
    I am facing a test in my faith right now and I am impatient. I want to see His plan now and not wait! Oh, how patient He is with us! As Pat mentions, Jesus sees our weakenesses! This verse comes to my mind and reminds me that He will not let me down, as long as I keep my eyes fixed on Him and trust Him, He will see me through and all that He has promised will happen at the right time. His timing is always better than ours because He can see beginning to end! We are finite in our thinking. His ways are higher than ours, His thoughts greater in their reach.
    Such a good message, Pat. We all need this type of encouragement! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most important place to focus our mind when we face a trial or heavy burden is to remember what you said, Diane ... "His timing is always better than ours because He can see beginning to end." He knows how and WHEN to act on our behalf! As humans, we are notorious for saying, "in hindsight I now see I should have… blah blah blah." We really need to believe and place our faith in God's wisdom to know the correct timing to solve our problems and challenges and then rely solely on His providence to make every situation good on our behalf. I'm praying for your particular need, Diane. I'm also praying you stand firm in your faith as He works out your ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Pat and Diane I agree, it so hard not to get depressed over the ugly things going on. Mathew, I am glad you have come out of the depression..
    I have always believed God's word so much so that when I see my son starting to go in another direction, That I know that God is faithful to complete the work in him That God has for him. Or when I have been on faithful with my time alone with God That He is still there for me. God is so Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Matthew. There is a scripture I repeat when I face things that seem overwhelming that helps remind me of God's promise. It's found in Isaiah 26:3 (referring to God) "Thou will keep in perfect peace the mind that is stayed on Thee." Keeping my mind bathed in God's Word keeps me stable and focused. It's a great Book that can ease doubt, fear, anxiety, depression, etc. THABKS FOR STOPPING BY Matthew! I will pray you continue to be at peace. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Matthew. Depression is something I too have struggled with. I am so thankful that I can have joy and peace despite the trials we face in life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey matthew!! good to see another reader commenting. i too thank the lord you have overcome your depression. and i will say, i know the 2 ladies that commented here. we are all devote believers that will be here to encourage you should you desire prayer. come back, brother. you'll find a real family here.

    ReplyDelete