Translate

6/25/19

What Do You Hear??



As a girl from the midwest, located in heart of the United States, the only views offered are those of corn fields, flat land, lot's of cattle, farms, and ranches. If you are lucky enough, you could brag about seeing a tornado! Other than that, there isn't much to see or be excited about. So, in the summer of 2004, I took a friend and my two dogs and headed to North Carolina. I had heard so much about the Great Smoky Mountains and the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation. Since the Native American culture has always been so fascinating to me I thought North Carolina would be the perfect destination to learn more about their way of life. Today I'm going to share a bit of wisdom I heard from Chief Ahoyka while on that trip (I can't believe I remembered his name). It is a lesson we can apply today on our walk with Christ.

It was during the noon lunch hour at the Cherokee Indian Reservation where a large crowd was gathered around the center square in anticipation of a pow wow. I was in the front row, seated on the grass, literally feet away from the edge of the designated dance area. Voices from the crowd, children playing, music piped through the outdoor public address system and honking car horns filled the air. Suddenly, Chief Ahoyka appeared. Cheers and whistles erupted. The Chief slowly raised his arms and the crowd grew silent. For the next one and a half hours, I sat in awe as the Cherokee Indians played their hearts out. As the presentation ended, the Chief appeared again. At the time, he asked what I thought was a strange question, "Did anyone hear the cricket while we were drumming with mother earth?" CRICKET?? WHAT CRICKET? A voice came from the crowd, "There was no cricket, and even if there was no one would have heard it over your chanting, drumming, and wind instruments."

Chief Ahoyka responded back, "No. I'm sure of it. No one here heard a cricket?" The gentleman bellowed back, "What? You couldn't possibly hear a cricket in all this noise!" "No, I'm sure of it," said the Chief. He listened carefully for a moment and then began walking across the parking lot to a set of bushes just on the other side. All eyes were fixed on him. He reached into the bushes beneath the branches, and sure enough, there was a small cricket! We were all stupified. The young gentleman shouted out, "That's incredible. You must have super-human ears!" "No," said Chief Ahoyka, "My ears are no different from yours. It all depends on what you're listening for." "But that can't be," said the man. I could never hear a cricket in all this noise and neither could any of us here." "Yes you can," came the reply. "Here, let me show you."
Chief Ahoyka reached into his pocket, pulled out a few coins, and discreetly dropped them on the sidewalk beside him. And then, with the noise of the passing traffic and children's joyful screams coming from the playground, they noticed that every person's head within twenty feet turned and looked to see if the money that tinkled on the pavement fell from their pocket. "See what I mean?" asked the Chief. "It all depends on what's important to you, and what you're listening for." That's what was so tremendous about that day at the Cherokee Nation. After each performance, the Chief appears to share some Native wisdom.
I took something away that day. What's important to us? What do we listen for? The next concert announcement? The car radio? When our date arrives? The point is, there are times we fail to listen to God because we are FOCUSED on other things that are more important to us. The scripture, "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10) should have new meaning for you. The verse encourages believers to reflect on God ... relax, pause, or even stop ... and reflect on Who God is, but there is more to this psalm. That is, we need to take time out of our day to meditate on Scripture and be still, BE SILENT with listening ears toward God.

Amid the distractions of the world all around us (relationships, the Internet, sports, TV, politics, etc) may our ears always be open, not only ready to listen for but to hear and be obedient to God's voice as He speaks to us through His Word (1 Samuel 3: 9-10; John 8:47; John 10:4; 1 John 4:6).
Until next time,
-Pat-

17 comments:

  1. This of course is my favorite post. I listen & watch for nature..
    When I worked at the FreeStore, I would know when God would say, talk to this person or say this.
    This Post has reminded me of how I am not listening becoz business has come 1st. I still stop n smell the flowers but I dont listen. Business has become my god.
    Today is a new day.Thank you GOD...
    Oh Pat, Heaven will be so awesome/fascinating and I know you know what I mean.. nature is the best entertainment and listening to God is the Best Direction..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, Pat and I have often talked about how awesome heaven will be! And nature in particular....will we be able to go fishing?! Lol Can you imagine the smell of the flowers, the sounds of the birds....how magnificent it will be!! :-)

      Delete
    2. Nancy and Diane, "BE STILL AND KNOW that I am God" is very significant. If we are listening/paying attention (being still) we will be able to not only hear from God, but decipher His voice! As far as what heaven will be like Diane? I imagine colors more deep more vivid, air so clean you've never smelled anything like it, sounds so glorious that even flowers sing. The fragrance alone would relax and make you happy. Water so clean and pure. Animals all tame and loving and even they will praise the Maker! Heavenly, angelic singing that glorifies our Lord God. We have no idea how great it will be because we are limited by these bodies of flesh, but when our spirits are set free from this prison? WOW! I'm anxious.

      Delete
    3. More glorious than we can even imagine!!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love this, Nancy. Thank you for opening up and sharing your testimony. We are all guilty of letting "life" draw us away from God's voice. There is so much noise we must deal with, so many distractions, so many things on our to-do list. The Father waits for us. We need to find time to get to a place that is quiet and meditate on Him. It is in those moments, alone with just Him, that His voice is the most clear. I'll be dancing along side if you in heaven, Nancy. It will be exciting to finally meet you! God bless. Have a great day! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A close friend today told me how her son-in-law often hears from God while fly fishing. He is a minister and says God speaks to him in the quiet while standing in the water just listening to the sounds of nature! How appropriate for this post! "The heavens declare His glory..."! His Word says so! Life is definitely too busy for most, even Christians. Churches are too busy with program after program, after program! Everyone is so pre-occupied with schedules whether it's after school with the kids or on the weekends. I think extra-curricular activites are great for kids but not three and four of them. Families have no time to listen to each other let alone God. He is our source of guidance and direction, how will we know what to do, He is our refuge, where will we know where to run to in times of struggle! Such a great reminder, Pat, of how important it is to truly take the time to listen to the most important Voice in our lives!
    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been busy with long days at work so I've been slow at reading your blogs. this one was so good I had to read it again! I also wanted to encourage you to keep writing. my family and I really enjoy all your blogs. we learn from them! I also want to encourage people to make comments and to thank nancy and diane for their comments. reading what other people have to add helps me too. don't stop, pat. even if I wind up being the only one reading your blogs, don't stop! this is one soul you are helping and strengthening my spiritual walk. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree. I was sitting in my prayer closet reading God's word where it says I go to prepare a place for you. So I asked the question, Can I live with the animals Lord? Then my hand started to draw the area I will call home. Every animal God created, a lake and my Dad's mahogany race boat, lol Dance Floor to dance with our Jesus, Rainbow colored waterfalls,rivers with beautiful colored fish that you can hold,all the animals and lil creature's I have been fascinated with. And of course friends and family & my 5 babies I will get to know.so many friends I have met along the way who feel the same way we do.
    Praise the Lord Hallelujah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, Nancy. I like what you drew! I'm an animal lover too. I definitely want to swim with dolphins, whales, even sharks if there so be any. I want to hold those fish, Nancy. I love fish! I used to rescue Betta fish from pet shops and raise them. I named every one I ever brought home. Luke 12:32 comes to mind, "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the Kingdom." I am His and He is Mine. HE SHARES!!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this, Sis! It's simply yet profoundly wise. Thanks for sharing with us your experience at the Cherokee Nation. It will stick with me. I enjoy the way you take your life experiences and turn them into a teaching we can apply to our own lives. Keep writing. God has given you a powerful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Kathy. I'm giggling because there have been times I have asked God (when He has nudged my spirit) "You want me to write about that part of my life?? Really?" He knows best so I always follow through when He leads me to do so. I just thank Him believing my messages and hearing about my life experiences must be for someone else God is nudging! :)

    ReplyDelete