Translate

6/2/19

You Can't Pull Out The Nail Hole


I recently read a story that was so good I'm posting it in this blog. It is a story told of a teenager who was constantly getting into trouble - always apologizing when his parents confronted him. No matter how much he hurt his parents with his wrongdoing, he would soon turn around and do something else wrong - knowing that he would be quickly forgiven. One day, his dad took him out to the garage for an illustration and a talk. He picked up a hammer and pounded a nail into the garage wall. Then he gave his son the hammer and instructed him to pull out the nail. The boy shrugged, grabbed the hammer, and quickly yanked out the nail.
Then his dad told him. "That's like forgiveness, son. When you do something wrong, it's like pounding in a nail. Forgiveness is when you pull the nail out."
"Okay, I get it," said the boy.
"Now take the hammer and pull out the nail hole," his dad replied.
"That's impossible!" the boy said. "I can't pull out the nail hole."
The father replied, "You're right, son. That nail hole is similar to the consequences of sin. You can pull out the nail (forgiveness), but you can't pull out the nail hole" (consequences).

King David's life proves that SIN does indeed carry consequences! Even though David was forgiven of severe sins (adultery & murder), they left scars that led to problems within his family (2 Samuel 12: 10-12). I'm using the Biblical example of David's transgressions as a warning for our own lives. Though we can receive forgiveness for sin, sometimes our sin brings horrible consequences. As an example, a willy nilly unbridled lifestyle that includes sexual freedom with several partners may be forgiven by God if we repent and turn from our sin, but consequences may manifest through things like an unwanted pregnancy, venereal disease, AIDS, or sometimes by engaging with the wrong character and ending in physical harm, rape, or even death. The best way to avoid the damage of SIN is to live a life of obedience to God (1 Samuel 15:22; Romans 6:17). Our sins can be forgiven and washed away (1 John 1:9; Psalm 32:5), but their consequences are ours to pay (2 Samuel 12:15-23). There is no getting around it, for what we do with our bodies will be paid for IN THE BODY. Other examples would be a person who has no control over alcohol, has become a drunkard, then 25-30 years after this constant abuse is diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. Or what about the abuse of tobacco or the abuse of food which can result in lung cancer or diabetes? Sadly, too often we blame God for health problems we actually brought upon ourselves. Who hasn't heard, "He was such a good man. Why did he have to die like that? Why did God allow this?" The fact is, SICKNESS AND DISEASE is the result of sin! Proverbs 23: 20-21 teach, "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

You may be doubting what I just said, your argument sounding something like, "Wait a minute! You mean to tell me an innocent baby born with a handicap, malformed, or has a disease has committed some horrible sin and is suffering because of consequences? Bologna! I don't buy it." Let's look at some causes. What about fetal alcohol syndrome caused by an alcoholic mom, or a baby that's addicted to heroin because the mother was a drug addict. Those parents "sins" manifested to their babies. These you probably agree with, but what about actual birth defects when the parents are young and healthy? The answer is, birth defects can be caused by a complex mix of factors such as genes (cell information inherited from our parents), things in the environment, injuries to the fetus while in gestation, being an older parent, etc. In other words, it is the human population and their own personal choices or those passed down through inherited genes that inflict generations, NOT GOD. Diseases and illness are THE RESULTS of choices and sin we freely make or those passed on through the genes of those who made bad choices. In the beginning, God did not create mankind with flaws. In general, sickness is part and parcel of life in a broken and fallen world. It's part of the fallout if you will, from our collective rebellion against God. If you recall, Jesus warned the invalid after He had healed him of his infirmity to stop sinning or something worse might happen to him (John 5:14). The inference here is SIN and the result is sickness/disease.

I myself, once thought maybe God was punishing me for sins I had committed in my past which manifested by the neurological disease I inherited from my dad along with two other siblings. But I have revised my opinion based on Romans 8:1, "There is therefore now no condemnation (punishment for sin) for those who are in Christ Jesus." My neurological disorder is not the result of God's punishment upon me, but rather, a malfunctioning cell process I inherited from my dad. And this particular disease has been passed down through a few of my relatives over the course of the last 100 years. I don't know farther than that. I now know God is not PUNISHING me because punishment is simply retribution, a chance to get back at someone who has wronged you! It has no other goal. God may "allow" something in your life as a means of discipline because "discipline" is a painful action with the intent of correcting or teaching someone not to repeat the act and then moving on to forgiveness. I believe that is where I am and a few more Christians I know who want physical healing, have asked for it, prayed for it, but without any results. Does it mean we're being punished? Does it mean we're full of sin? Does it mean God is not listening? NOT AT ALL! Paul the Apostle had a thorn in his side to buffet him. We are not told specifically what this "thorn" was or represented though it was some sort of physical burden. Paul prayed three times asking God to take it away, but healing never came! WHY? God has a purpose for pain and suffering, as Paul learned God's "power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9). God's purpose? Romans 8:28, "All things (not some things, not a few things, not just appointed things but ...) ALL THINGS work together FOR GOOD to those who love Christ Jesus and are called according to HIS PURPOSE."

Still not convinced because you cannot get the vision out of your head when thinking about individuals or children with disabilities who 'did nothing to deserve it?' Look at this from John 9:2-3. The disciples approach Jesus and asked Him about a man who was born blind and still blind. Meaning, the man was once a baby born blind yet did nothing, no wrong, no sin, nothing to deserve it. They asked, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" NOTICE! The disciples aren't asking why the man in front of them was currently blind, they were asking why he was BORN BLIND! It's what we often ask, "What did that baby ever do to be born blind. Why is God so cruel?" Jesus answered His disciples, "It was not this man that sinned or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him." This was not punishment or discipline, it was to be used as a way to show God's power by healing him so all could see. I know my own disability is not because God is punishing me, but it could be that He is teaching me valuable lessons (and trust me, I have learned many), or in time, I might be used so that others can witness God's grace and mercy. Just remember, we should celebrate those who believe in Christ despite the unique circumstances they've been selected to bear because it can be used to Glorify God! I want you to think of this ... if YOU personally had MS (multiple sclerosis), you would more than likely be more receptive to someone who also had MS and believes, than someone without it (if that makes sense). Or, like some unfortunate women who have been sexually assaulted may be more receptive to someone speaking about the freedom found in Christ from someone who has walked in their shoes than someone who has not been assaulted. We don't suffer in vain is my point. There is a reason, a time, a season and also a purpose to everything under heaven (Ecclesiastes 3).

Many of us suffer directly or indirectly from the consequences of sin, and yet others can and will be used to display and manifest the glory of God through a miraculous healing. God works all things together for good—both His good and our good. As God is glorified, His people benefit. Those who love God can trust His goodness, His power, and His will to work out all things for our good. We journey together with Him. The promise that God works all things together for good does not mean that all things, taken by themselves, are good. Some things and events are decidedly bad. But God is able to work them together for good. He sees the big picture; He has a master plan. The fact that God works all things together for good means God’s plan will not be thwarted. In fact, we are part of His plan, having been “called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28). When we trust God and His way, we can be sure that He is active and powerful on our behalf (see Ephesians 3:20).
Until next time,
-Pat-

11 comments:

  1. I love the analogy here, pat. once an infraction has been committed, it's too late to escape the consequences whether it's a hurtful word, an affair, a bad choice, etc. sin can be forgiven thanks be to jesus but the results of that sin can still affect us long afterward. I thought about the time I hit my thumb with a hammer. I knew the precarious angle at which I was about to drive a nail was very dangerous but went ahead anyway. after a bit of pounding I hit my thumb (bad decision) and shattered a bone. and though the doctor was able to fix my bone and make me all new again (like jesus does with our souls), I still suffered the after effects like pain, swelling, stiffness, and a scar (just as we can feel the effects if sin even after being forgiven for a sin). I hope this has helped someone. thx pat! as usual, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. another thing, it surprises me that only a few people ever respond to these blogs. more surprising is the fact it seems like the same select few like myself, diane morin, a Kerry gentleman, a Nancy, and of course you, pat ever drop a comment. it's always the same readers and no one else. surely your blogs are far reaching! I wish more people would get involved and comment. reading other peoples comments and opinions helps me to think even deeper. I wanted to throw that in. so come on readers, let's discuss these blogs and grow together as fellow brothers & sisters of the same faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree Dan! I wish more people commented as well.

      Delete
    2. i'm praying more people jump in with us because i learn by reading other's comments too. reading comments is sometimes as interesting as the blog itself! if anyone else has read these blogs besides Nancy, diane and i, please say hello. let's hear from you and dine on God's truths together. i want to hear from more people.

      Delete
  3. I liked your analogy too, Dan! As far as people commenting or not, I always pray my blogs reach people in far places and so far they seem to be. Blogger gives statistical reports to each blog owner. Though I would love to hear from more readers, my blogs have been read all over the world according to my personal statistics: Germany, Philippians, Ireland, Italy, Russia, Pakistan, Portugal, India, Estonia, Australia, Cambodia, Canada, Alaska- all of the USA, etc. (and more). I'm am truly grateful for the opportunity to reach so many. I believe the Spirit of the Lord guides, directs, and sends these blogs to those whom HE has appointed to be read. Maybe in time more readers will respond. That would be wonderful. In the meantime, thank you for being a returning member! MAY GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said Pat. I am sorry I dont respond. I have always loved your writings. You're still my favorite animal lover..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Nancy! Good to see you again. I'm glad my blogs are reaching you! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to read them on my phone, which is hard for me to see. But when I do I am always glad...I just always know that it came from Gods Heart. I love you Patty Girl..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the analogy as well. Unfortunately some consequences of sin are life long. They can be hard to turn around even after repentance and forgiveness. But God is not at fault for bad choices or sin. He gave us free will. He also gave us a plan of Redemption knowing how sinful we are. Often you hear people call on God in the midst of disasters but rarely in their everyday lives. The important point is that when we live for Him everyday, any thing we may encounter in life, good and bad, can be used by Him for our benefit.
    Even the consequences of bad decisions or sin can be turned around for our benefit.
    Another great blog, Pat!
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete